Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Reciprocity Problem

Last month, someone did something very kind for our family.

I'm afraid if I give too many details, I might jeopardize my anonymity.  But I will reveal that a highly skilled professional discounted services of close to $300.00 down to $75.00. This individual knows we're having trouble, and just helped. Out of kindness.

I know that many compassionate people do nice things with no expectation of gaining anything in return. This is absolutely the case with last month's bounty.

Maybe it's just the way I was raised, but I want to do something nice in return.  In the Good Old Days, I'd have dropped by a nice bottle of wine or sent flowers. Or simply told the individual, "Don't be silly! We can handle this."

I don't have any skills with which to barter.  I'd offer to admin the FB page, but I'm not particularly tech-literate.

Next time I have spare baking supplies, I suppose I'll take food (although this person is extremely health-conscious and might not appreciate luscious goodies.

If any of you have any ideas - other than writing a great review and sending waves of positivity - please let me know in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment